The 2018 Annual Heart-to-Heart Contest for Unpublished Authors
About the Contest
The San Francisco Area chapter of RWA is excited to announce the 2018 Heart To Heart Contest for unpublished writers. Entries will be accepted electronically only in six categories. The top three finalists in each category will have their entries read by industry professionals. We will announce finalists and winners on our web site, and certificates will be awarded to the top winner in each category. Here’s how to enter:
- Send Us Your Pages – Send us your amazing first fifteen pages (limit: 4,000 words)! No need to set the stage or give us a synopsis–let your characters do the talking. We can’t wait to read your work!
- See Your Scores – Receive three detailed score sheets from experienced, trained PRO and PAN author/judges.
- Get Your Story in Front of Industry Pros – Finalists will have their entries read by acquiring editors and agents.
Contest Rules At-a-Glance
For a full set of category descriptions and a complete list of eligibility guidelines, please visit the Contest Rules page. Here are our rules, at-a-glance.
- Publication Status: Authors should be unpublished in novella- or novel-length work for at least five years
- Word Count: First fifteen pages (limit: 4,000 words)
- Categories: Contemporary Romance, Romantic Suspense, Erotic Romance, Historical Romance, Speculative Romance, Young Adult
- Entry Fees: $25 for general entrants, $15 for SFA-RWA members; no RWA affiliation is required
- Submission Format: Electronic only, according to formatting guidelines
- June 1st 2018: Contest opens for entries
- September 3rd 2018: Deadline for submissions and payments
- October 1st 2018: First round winners announced
- November 5th, 2018: Final round winners announced
Our Illustrious Judges
The 2018 Heart-to-Heart contest will have three judges in each of our five categories: one agent, one traditional editor, and one epub editor:
1. Sue Grimshaw, Editor-at-Large @ Penguin-Random House – Ballantine, Bantam, Dell – Loveswept, Flirt
2. Toni Acquisitions, Editor for Extasy Books
3. Eva Scalzo, Literary Agent, Speilburg Literary Agency
1.A lycia Tornetta, Editor, Entangled
2. Jennie Conway, Editor, St. Martin’s Press
3. Lizzie Poteet, agent, Seymour Agency
1. Mackenzie Walton, Editor, Carina Press
(2nd and 3rd judges TBD)
1. Nikki Garcia, Associate Editor, Little, Brown Children’s
2. Laurie McLean, Fuse Literary Literary
3. Holly West, Editor, Swoon Reads
1. Mary Altman, Editor, Sourcebooks Romance
2. Tara Gelsomino, Agent, One Track Literary Agency
(3rd judge TBD)